SIFT to Evaluate a Website
STOP and ask yourself...
- Do you recognize the information source?
- Do you know anything about the website or its reputation?
- Based on prior knowledge, does the information make sense?
INVESTIGATE by digging into the source
- Where is the information coming from?
- What are the author's credentials (education, affiliation, experience, etc.)?
- Is the information balanced or biased?
- What is the intent of the website (to persuade, to sell, to entertain, or to educate)?
- Is the source worth your time?
- Look at what others have said about the source to help answer these questions.
FIND trusted coverage
- What claims are being made?
- Is there a consensus across sources?
TRACE claims, quotes, etc. back to the original context
- What was the original context?