Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
TRIED AND TRUE RESEARCH RESOURCES
Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose. ~Zora Neale Hurston
Welcome to the SVS Library's Research Page
"Google is not a synonym for research." ~Novelist Dan Brown
Break the google habit!
- Use the resources on the SVS Library website to locate authoritative information for your research project.
- When in doubt, ask your librarian for help!
- Driven by a question or problem
- Seeking information with a clear goal in mind
- A process that works best when done step-by-step
- Searching and searching again (re-search)
- Going beyond facts and old ideas
- Taking a new look at the information and taking a stand
Research is NOT:
- Copying and pasting information you find through a Google search
- Combining a paragraph from one article with a couple of paragraphs from websites. That's plagiarism.
- Writing a "report"
- Rearranging facts
[Special thanks to Meg Omainsky for permission to adapt her research guide]
Alternatives to Google for Better Results!
Tips for Using Google Effectively
It is important to choose the right database for your task as databases typically cover specific topics and/or time periods. READ before you click to save time in accessing the database that best meets your information need.